Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sustainability: Paul Weaver Seminar & NZSSES Conference

I thought about submitting an abstract for this years NZSSES (New Zealand Society for Sustainability Engineering and Science) Conference. It's on "Blueprints for Sustainable Infrastructure". Of course I've never actually studied or researched or read about sustainability in particular. I've just heard the word used everywhere.

So in the interests of a crash course in sustainability I went along to the Paul Weaver lecture on the MATISSE project. Very interesting! And my goodness the seats in the new Business School building are comfortable! Anyway. The lecture which was scheduled for half an hour went on for over one and a half hours!!

Sustainability seems to be an interesting idea. More so because it seems kind of obvious to me, yet it also seems to be a problem and lots of people seem to be very concerned about it and are looking for ways to solve the problem (again it seems obvious, but maybe I'm naive and don't know all the intricacies).

Paul was an interesting and enthusiastic speaker and because it was all new to me, he sparked lots of ideas. I will write about them later.

Anyway, thinking about submitting an abstract for the conference (I didn't) and going to the lecture made me very curious about what all this sustainability fuss is about. My PhD probably relates to it. But then it seems that everything relates to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment